2nd September 2016
- Draw up a social media plan: You should start by creating a roadmap that you wish to follow on the social media. You should identify the strategies that you will follow for attracting crowd funding for your film, the audience that you will target, how you will promote the film from the scripting stage to the end, how will you promote your film if it is being screened at festivals, what kind of videos you would create and which sites you would use to promote them and how will you involve and update the investors.
- Identify the right platform for your audience: There are so many different social media sites and each has its uniqueness- strengths and weaknesses. Each caters to a different kind of audience. You will have to know who your audience is and where do they hang out. Start blogging or taking part in discussions on various film making forums. You will have to learn to use various metrics to understand how successful your strategies have proven and to track the traffic to your website and social media accounts.
- Be consistent: Even though it is true that each platform is unique and different content format is required to be successful, ensure that they are consistent with the overall image of the film or the genre. Take expert advice, if it comes cheap, to create a media campaign before taking the plunge.
- Target influencers: Try to connect with other film makers and prominent film critics and movie buffs who would be interested to watch your film and also promote it on their social circle. That would give your film a lot of free publicity.
- Incentivize your audience: Use social media to share freebies like free passes to contest winners to a film festival where you film will be screened or a DVD of the music of your film. This is how you can engage your audience to act and get involved.