Image Credits: FlickrAdvantages of developing indie games These are some of the many advantages of being an indie game developer over working with big gaming studios:
- Complete creative freedom: As an indie developer, you work for yourself and the small team with whom you collaborate. It affords you the freedom that comes only with working for yourself. It helps you stay creative and give an outlet for your ideas.
- The chance to pick up new skills: When working alone or in a small team for game development, you cannot afford to perform only one job role. You are forced to work on multiple aspects of a project, helping you pick up skills in the process and honing existing skills to make you more skilled and competent as a game developer.
- Ability to pioneer new industry trends: You may have innovative ideas that have never been tried by big studios, as there are no numbers to back up new ideas and they are considered risky. As an indie developer, you can break away from existing trends and choose to develop something completely new from scratch.
- Stay true to your dream irrespective of the challenges.
- Ensure that you plan for funds well in advance and have alternatives in place so you do not struggle later.
- Look for interesting collaborators who can bring new perspectives and make you work better.